Roast is a beloved family tradition and any cook worth their salt must have a recipe up their sleeve. You can't go wrong with roast chicken, a simple, classic dish that is a proven crowd-pleaser. Pair this crispy and succulent roast chicken with seasonal vegetables for a complete meal.
- 1.8kg free range chicken
- 50g butter
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup water
- Olive oil
- Sweet potato
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 Celsius.
- Pat the chicken down with a paper towel to dry it. Loosen the skin away from the chicken breast and cover with butter and garlic cloves under the skin. Rub the whole bird with soft butter, sprinkle with salt.
- Cut 1 lemon in half and put the lemon inside the carcass. This will give it a delicious flavour.
- Put the chicken in a deep roasting dish. Pour 3⁄4 cup of water into the bottom of the dish. Put in the oven for 90 minutes.
- Prepare your vegetables by peeling and chopping. Scatter them on the roasting tray and cover with olive oil. Add the vegetables to the oven after the chicken has been cooking for 45 minutes.
- Remove the chicken after 90 minutes of cooking, the vegetables can crisp up a little longer. Remove the chicken and let it rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- To make a gravy use the juices in the chicken dish. Use a paper towel to remove some of the fat. Place a paper towel on top of the liquid in the bottom of the pan this will absorb some of the fat that has risen to the top and leave the tasty flavours at the bottom of the pan. Put the dish over the stove and add some gravy granules and water. Season to taste and simmer until thick.
- Once the vegetables are ready serve with all of your favourite sides and enjoy with your loved ones.